Jul 17, 2013

Feature: Alexandria Web

ModelMayhem
Facebook
Tumblr
Madcow Models
Oneface
Blog
ChestWaistCorsetHipsHeightWeight
Imperial41"37.5"28"47"5"10'158lb
Metric104cm95cm71cm119cm178cm71kg



GGotW: When did your interest in the Alternative begin?
AW: I guess I've always been a little bit "strange", my mother is a goth (I guess that truly makes me second gen!), and also has an interest in motorbikes, so my childhood was spent in Harley Davidson T-shirts singing along to Kate Bush, my pre-teen rebellion was to like pink things and listen to The Spice Girls!
Fortunately that didn't last long, by 15 I was back in black... Where I belong!

GGotW: What photographers have you worked with?
AW: Ella Short Photography
Peter Lennox
Angy Ellis photography
Kat in a Hat
Jon Meikle Photography
Ben.By.Me
Kate McGinley Photography
Wolfdreama
 Fledermaus Photography
Anth Short photography
Jason Mark Harbottle

GGotW: I understand you worked in Television?
AW: I worked in television twice, "Snog, Marry, Avoid" with Endemol productions and "Crimes Against Fashion" with Storyvault TV, and appear as a dead body in Lesbian Bed Death's  video for Soul Sucker

GGotW: Where do you get most of you outfits?
AW: My wardrobe is mostly a mixture of handmade, vintage and pieces from Forever in Black.
Most of my Lolita wardrobe is handmade, Lolita brand isn't something I can justify the luxury of at the moment, and I like to make my own clothing anyway so I find fabrics at my local textile market, screen print my own or recently I found a fabric I liked that I bought from Spoonflower.

Queenie, who runs Forever in Black made all of the corsets I currently own, previously I had bought them from ebay or high street "alt" shops, those were pretty but uncomfortable and bent out of shape so quickly, but once I switched to wearing custom pieces I've never looked back!

One of them I have had for almost four years now and there's not even the slightest bend in it, and it's incredibly comfortable, I'd encourage anybody who likes the look and shape that corsets give to seek out independent corset makers rather than buying mass-produced, the quality is much better and from an ethical standpoint I like to know that children with bleeding fingers haven't been involved in making my clothes.

GGotW: What got you interested in textiles?
AW: I've been interested in hand making clothing since my mid-teens when I discovered that I just couldn't find things I liked in shops (just before the internet shopping explosion), through a series of happy accidents I ended up taking a Fashion A Level at college. The art department of the college I went to didn't really get a lot of funding so we ended up doing a lot more surrounding surface design than fashion students usually do, often on old bedsheets that someone had donated.
I ended up becoming a bit of a control freak, and just designing garments wasn't enough for me any more, I feel like I have to be involved in as much of the process as I can so that I know I will end up with something as close to how I envisioned it as I can.
I mostly work with screen print at the moment, which is something I fell in love with at University. I'm hoping to start my own business making printed clothing and accessories.



Click on the images that appear with the article to see larger versions. Please feel free to leave comments below, you don't need to be a member to leave comments.

No comments: